Looking back.............

Dearest Mom and Button
I did a HUGE clean yesterday................. In the process off sorting out the linen cupboard I looked at my old quilts for the first time in years.

This is the second quilt I made - so it must be roughly 24 years old. At this time in South Africa, American cotton were nearly impossible to get, and if you were fortunate enough to find them they were HUGEly expensive. This quilt is made entirely of South African cottons. I made it for Gareth......

The fabric wore very well, except it now has mould in some places. I find it very hard to believe that I had the audacity to attempt this quilt - it is not a quilt I would recommed for a beginner!!!

I pieced it by machine and hand quilted it.

This quilt was made when I was pregnant with Button - so I know it is 22 years old. Interestingly, this quilt has worn the best out of all my quilts - AND it is mostly made up of poly-cottons. A big NO NO in quilting today.

Unfortunately, it too, has rust marks. Also, it has been folded for a long time in the cupboard.


My second paper pieced quilt - remember Mom, this quilt was on my bed for years..... The colours were so vibrant. We were now able to get American cottons in South Africa - this quilt is made up mostly of them.

I hand quilted it. Still one of my favourites!!!!!!

This is quilt is badly worn - most of the time it is the dark fabrics that perished.

This is Buttons quilt - I tried "strip piecing" for this one. It was quite the go then. Rulers and rotary cutters had just hit the shelves!!!!!!!!!!! This is hand quilted.

The fabrics have torn and a dog( I think it was Steffie) ate one corner!!!
As you know, I love to use my quilts so I do expect them not to last. One thing I have learned over the years is that the more dense your quilting is, the longer the fabrics last.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Jenny
PS SIX more days..............

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your first quilts with us Jenny. It is lovely to see them and you were so adventurous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts