Surprise!!





Dearest Mom
Remember the big bag of 1" hexagons that you bought all the way from South Africa? You said that you would never finish the quilt, and that I should offer it to someone so that they can complete it for themselves?

Well, I told Jane about it and she suggested that I finish it for you. I did get the impression from you at the time that you did not want the quilt.......but anyway, I appliqued the hexie flowers onto a 7" square of spotted fabric and then stitched 2 1/2" squares diagonally across the corners....and VOILA ......... I hope you like it - it is very different to what you had in mind because you had covered HUNDREDS of cream hexagons!!!!!!!!!

When I took the papers out of the back of your hexies I noticed that they were the same papers that I had used for this quilt I made years ago. It got me thinking, (as I am VERY bad about dating my quilts), when you would have started yours, I know I made my grandmother's flower garden quilt a year before you started yours. I handquilted my quilt after our immigration to Autralia nearly 9 years ago. Give it a think and let me know.

Anyway, back to your new quilt - I will handquilt it and then decide if it's worth the risk of posting it to South Africa? Or maybe I should wait until my next visit to you ...............

Comments

Popular Posts